Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

TalkTalk customer loyalty?

Hi,

Although TalkTalk say they want to retain me as a longstanding customer, their actions don't substantiate that.

Some days it can take my old TalkTalk supplied Echolife HG520b router many hours to establish and maintain Internet access. Latest Firmware has been downloaded.

TalkTalk help line have checked my settings and the telephone line. They say it's almost certainly my old router that's the problem. I can’t loan another router.

TalkTalk will only replace the router if I sign up for an 18 month contract. I’m presently out of contract.

Why should I commit myself before knowing if the service level will be satisfactory?
Banned
redchiz

Re: TalkTalk customer loyalty?

You don't have to commit yourself, but then TalkTalk aren't obliged to provide with you a free router if the old one has expired, you can always go out and buy one.
OCE_Debbie
Topics: 0
Kudos: 661
Solutions: 344
Founder

Hi Canal boat,

If you are still in contract, then the modem will still be covered by the warranty, so I can get a replacement modem sent out. If you are outside of contract then the modem will be chargeable or we may be able to offer one as part of a contract renewal.

If you are unsure if the modem is faulty then we can arrange to send a modem and a returns bag for testing purposes.

Thanks

Debbie

Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your response. My faith in TalkTalk may yet be restored.
I did state I'm out of contract.

If you could send a router on loan for testing purposes and a returns bag, that would be fine.
If it works O.K. I would be happy to sign up for another contract.
When the router is working well, the service is reasonable and I have no reason to leave TalkTalk.

It's said that "recruiting a new customer is up to ten times more than the cost of retaining an existing customer."

Thanks.
Super Contributor
MCMLXXIII
Founder

Canal boat.

I wish I could adopt your strategy with my mobile phone provider.

They would laugh at me :smileyvery-happy: No offence intended.

(God loves a tryer)
Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi,
Will TalkTalk be responding please?
On Sunday, the router took 5 hrs to connect.
Monday - after 1 hour I gave up trying to connect.
Tuesday - instantaneous. The connection stuck like glue all day.
Wednesday - ditto.
Thursday - ditto.
Friday - after 4 hours I gave up trying to connect.
(the connection drops out overnight - the router isn't turned off)
Whilst constructive comments are appreciated, ones like the previous aren't helpful.
This problem is having a major impact on the huge free web site I run for RAF veterans.
I need to sort it.
Thanks.
(sent from the local Library Wi-Fi)
Super Contributor
MCMLXXIII
Founder

Dear Canal Boat

I'm sure that the MODS will have your matter in hand in their queuing system.

Meanwhile I wondered if you have tried escalating your issue via telephone support?

Some real time help may help you in terms of the diagnostics they can go through with you.

Just a suggestion- Good luck with it.:smileyhappy:
Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

MCMLXXIII

If you read my original post, I clearly said;

"TalkTalk help line have checked my settings and the telephone line. They say it's almost certainly my old router that's the problem."
Super Contributor
MCMLXXIII
Founder

Best of luck then.
I would try that well known auction site as talk talk specific routers are going from as little as 99p there with no reserve.
A lot less capital to commit than a new contract and this way you get to test your line.
New Contributor
heingericke
Founder

I'm out of contract like you, have been for many months too, too many to count. I had a problem on the 4th of October 2012 when my router was playing up. I contacted talk talk and they told me to sign a new contract to get a new router, I refused, but because I've been a customer for so long, couple of years at least I talked them into it. They sent me a new HG533 for free and I can cancel my rolling contract any time I please. Sadly I'm having a different problem at the moment highlighted in another thread.
OCE_Arne
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 379
Founder

Dear Canal boat

Thank you for your post.

I have checked your account and there is not fault ticket advising that the router is faulty, but there is an issue on your line our tests have detected a loop fault, this could be internal setup, so I feel the replacement modem may not be the answer.

We need you to answer these questions and post results

Also if after these tests we need issue a new router we need you to Please send the information requested in security questions via the contact us link (bottom right) ensuring you select the security questions option. Please do not post any of the information requested on the open forums. Please post the reference once it is received by e-mail.

Once we have a better idea of your setup and the router is in the test socket for at least 48 hours, I appreciate this may be inconvenient but we must follow these diagnostic checks to avoid any potential charges being incurred should an engineer eventually be required.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The situation has deteriorated. Connection to the Internet is now virtually impossible most days. The ‘ADSL’ light flashes all the time but I rarely get the ‘Internet’ light.
Also, occasionally now it can take the ‘Power’ light on the router several minutes to light up when I reboot. I’m becoming very concerned about a possible fire risk if it’s faulty?

1. What make/model router are you using? Echolife HG520b.
2. Have you tested with a different router, if so what is the make/model? Not available.
3. Have you tested a different micro filter? Yes.
4. Do you have an NTe5 BT Master Socket? Yes.
5. If yes, did you notice any improvement in your speed when in the test socket? Connection is no better.
6. If no, is your modem connected to the master socket? In test socket via a filter with one phone.
7. How many telephone extension sockets do you have? As 6) above.
8. Are you using any extension cables, alarm systems or sky boxes? No
9. Do you have any issues with your phone service? No
10. Apart from the stability of your broadband, do you have any other issues? No.

Thanks.
(sent from the local Library Wi-Fi)
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 1
Kudos: 731
Solutions: 330
Founder

Hi Canal boat,

In order to send a replacement modem for testing purposes we will need to confirm some details. Please see this link Security Questions in regards to what information we require and also how to send us this information.

You will be sent a reference via e-mail. Once you have this please post it in this thread. Please do not post any of the information requested in the sticky post on the open forums.

Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response.

Incident number is 121210-003398

Thanks.
OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 254
Founder

Hi Canal boat,

Thanks for the information

I have ordered a router to test with, you will also receive a returns bag to send the router back in when testing is complete - please allow 3-5 working days for delivery

Chris

Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi,

The old router eventually gave up completely. Even when it very occasionally displayed a constant ‘Internet’ connection light, none of several laptops could connect to, or even ‘see’ our connection amongst those listed.

So thank you very much indeed for the replacement router sent for test purposes. It connected without problems and over two weeks has rarely, if ever, dropped the connection. Thank you.

However, using the TalkTalk Speed checker, on several occasions immediately before Christmas, with only 1 computer in use with the LAN cable, typically showed only 0.29 Mbps Down and 0.74 Mbps Up.

However, the same test twice today gave 2.2 Mbps Down and 0.7 Mbps Up.

Is that it or could I reasonably expect any further improvement please?

I am now prepared to honour my promise to renew my contract with TalkTalk.

Connection details remain as previously posted but now with Huawei HG523a router.

Thanks.
Retired
Nathann

Hi Canal boat,

I have changed your line profile to a slightly faster one, if you could please monitor the connection and let us know how it goes. Is the router still connected to the BT test socket?

Thanks

Nathan

Occasional Contributor
Canal boat
Founder

Hi,
Thank you for your response.

Yes, still connected in the test socket via a filter with one telephone only.
TalkTalk speed checker now regularly gives above 7.6 Mbps down and 0.65 Mbps up.

If the technical aspects are satisfactory at your end, I’m happy to conclude this matter.
If I now renew my contract online, do I get to keep the router sent for test purposes, free of charge?
My broken previous router was obviously a major source of my problems.

Thanks very much for your assistance.
OCE_Debbie
Kudos: 661
Solutions: 344
Founder

Hi Canal boat,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

If you would like to discuss a contract renewal then we would advise that you contact our customer services department on 0870 4441820 to discuss this further.

Thanks

Debbie