Occasional Contributor
mavboy

Second router

Hi I am currently using a dlink 2780 router which i will call router 1 I have a second router a dlink 2640 which i will call router 2. I have had router 1 in several locations around mt three storey building but i cannot get a signal to one location in the building which is required for an ipad so it has to be wireless can i connect router 2 to router 1 and position router 2 in the required location if so how or is there anything else i can do all other locations are fine. is there a link anywhere where i can get the info on how to do this hope someone can help, easy steps guide required as i am a novice to some extent.

Many thanks Mavboy.
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 394

Re: Second router

Hi mavboy,

In order to connect both routers you would need to change the configuration of router 2 for it to operate as a router. You would also need to connect an ethernet cable from router 1 to router 2. The other option would be to look into a wireless repeater or powerline adapters and connect router 2 to the adapter.

I have also moved this thread into the Community Section.

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Super Contributor
mkjustuk

Re: Second router

Originally Posted by mavboy
Hi I am currently using a dlink 2780 router which i will call router 1 I have a second router a dlink 2640 which i will call router 2. I have had router 1 in several locations around mt three storey building but i cannot get a signal to one location in the building which is required for an ipad so it has to be wireless can i connect router 2 to router 1 and position router 2 in the required location if so how or is there anything else i can do all other locations are fine. is there a link anywhere where i can get the info on how to do this hope someone can help, easy steps guide required as i am a novice to some extent.

Many thanks Mavboy.

You need to set router 2 up as an access point - essentially assign router 2 a different IP address to router 1 but in the same network (i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2). Link router 2 to router 1 with a LAN cable and enable wireless on router 2 but with a different SSID to router 1. Disable the ADSL elements in router 2 and then connect to the 'new' wireless lan of router 2 on the ipad. You should be up and running.