Regular Contributor
CJSS

New TalkTalk Router Update Tool - Huawei HG520B & HG532 - D-Link DSL-2680 & DSL-2780

The update tool is for the following routers: Huawei HG520B, D-Link DSL-2680, D-Link DSL-2780 and Huawei HG532. However customers with a Tiscali TV service should not use this tool.
Full Details:
help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/router-update
New Firmware Downloads (Aug 2012): www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/BF5E878BED444CC081D4633701EDB4094
Original/Old Firmware Downloads: www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/3D18F5DBA4234B28934C81313A9B85094
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Super Contributor
eebdsirhc

Re: New TalkTalk Router Update Tool - Huawei HG520B & HG532 - D-Link DSL-2680 & DSL-2780

Probably my aging eyesight - but I can't see anywhere on that referenced page where it states what the new firmware level is, so I can check if I need it or not.
Or a patch list to say (in a bit of detail) what the firmware actually changes. So I can tell if it is worth upgrading something that (for me at least) is working without any problems.
Clues would be appreciated - other than "get yourself some new glasses" :robotwink:
Regular Contributor
CJSS

Re: New TalkTalk Router Update Tool - Huawei HG520B & HG532 - D-Link DSL-2680 & DSL-2780

The only thing it mentions:
Get all these benefits in just a few minutes!

What it actually does I have no idea :smileyindifferent:.
Community Star
jcampy

check talktalk labs section for the firmware trials and see what those threads say

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Valued Contributor
baz134dog

Regular Contributor
CJSS

I've tested the update tool and it doesn't seem to like Windows 8 :smileysad:. I've noticed the keyboard and mouse lock up at points through the software and during the 5 minute countdown I was greeted with a failed message - the router reports firmware version v1.14t, but I can't recall what version the router was prior. Can anyone confirm the shipped TalkTalk D-Link DSL-2680 firmware? I think it was V1.08 (what it says on the bottom of the router).
I'm not sure why the upgrade failed however I did find that Internet Explorer was open and had froze - to note, since recent releases Internet Explorer seems to have gotten a lot worse and I never use it as it's unreliable, for me. Also I received a few popup windows asking to upload files so I'm wondering if this software simply opens Internet Explorer and performs the necessary processes of a manual update. If this is the case I think there should be an option to download the necessary files and perform a manual upgrade for those who may have computability issues or use different systems such as Linux or OS X.
Frequent Contributor
djcowlin

It's not working for me either (DSL-2780 from - ahem - wife's Windows XP laptop). Since I can access the router via the web interface using my - ahem - Mac, it would be simplicity itself to update the firmware by uploading the file from there. So why can't we simply download the firmware update from TT as a file??
Contributor
DrWook

+1, I don't really want to have to dig out a Windows machine, and connect over wireless (always a great plan...), to upgrade router firmware. I think the calls for a straight file download are obviously sane - is anyone at TT able to advise if these are available?
Super Contributor
pengipete

Just downloaded the tool to take a look - and Norton immediately deleted it and flagged it up as...

"Threat Name: WS.Reputation.1

Threat type: Insight Network Threat.

There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe
"

I'm sure that TalkTalk aren't actually producing malware but customers will be put off from using a tool when Norton says it is unsafe. They need to either rewrite the tool or contact Norton to advise them - and prove - that it is safe.
Banned
redchiz

Says more about Norton than TalkTalk, really. :smileywink:
Super Contributor
pengipete

Originally Posted by redchiz
Says more about Norton than TalkTalk, really. :smileywink:

Absolutely - it says that Norton doesn't wait until after a threat is discovered and has already hacked hardware or stolen data before warning users of potentially serious risks - they don't just buy lists of known malware and block them - they look at what an app does and where it came from.

TalkTalk don't make those routers. Any such third-party tool that is downloaded from a third-party site and has pretty-much unrestricted access to a router's settings and firmware presents a potentially serious risk.

What happens in a situation like this is that the manufacturer or producer of the third-party app contacts the companies that use these potential threat detection systems - who are then able to verify that source and software is legit and update their lists. Otherwise, it just takes a while until enough people have over-ridden the default Norton action and their feedback enables Norton to add it to their white-list.
Regular Contributor
otto

Originally Posted by eebdsirhc
Probably my aging eyesight - but I can't see anywhere on that referenced page where it states what the new firmware level is, so I can check if I need it or not.

Or a patch list to say (in a bit of detail) what the firmware actually changes. So I can tell if it is worth upgrading something that (for me at least) is working without any problems.

Clues would be appreciated - other than "get yourself some new glasses" :robotwink:

GET READY FOR THIS

I 100% agree with you
Valued Contributor
M44RKD

Originally Posted by otto
GET READY FOR THIS

I 100% agree with you

Shock horror :smileymad:

(just joking lol:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:)
Contributor
darren221980

Morning all,

Does anyone know how business customers are supposed to upgrade the firmware on there routers?

I was a residential customer until June this year but switched over to a business line so i could have a static ip address.

I'm using the HG532 which i used on residential as believe it or not the business router is even worse which i didn't think could happen.

Anyway i've just tried using this update tool and keep getting an error which is:-

"...It appears that we cant detect your router
This may be because you have changed the router login user identifier and password. These are needed to configure your router.
Please input these values below and click the next button..."

I don't know what the original username and password were for the router from residential talktalk but even if i did that account is no longer active.

If i enter my business username and password i just get the same error message :smileysad:

Does anyone know if the firmwares can be downloaded direct so i can update via from the router menu itself?

My router is currently on firmware 2.02.

Thanks,

Darren
★Desk Jockey ★Extended Profile ★Got Potential
★Basic Profile ★Active Participant ★Feedback Loop
Regular Contributor
CJSS

Originally Posted by darren221980

"...It appears that we cant detect your router
This may be because you have changed the router login user identifier and password. These are needed to configure your router.
Please input these values below and click the next button..."

Can you login to your router at 192.168.1.1 successfully?
Contributor
darren221980

Originally Posted by CJSS
Can you login to your router at 192.168.1.1 successfully?

yes, can get into it no problem.
Regular Contributor
CJSS

Originally Posted by darren221980
yes, can get into it no problem.

Is that with a default login; username is 'admin' and password 'admin' (or whatever the default password was)?
Contributor
darren221980

Is that with a default login; username is 'admin' and password 'admin' (or whatever the default password was)?

Yes that's it
Regular Contributor
CJSS

It would seem the update tool may need a little work still - I'll see if I can find anything.
Contributor
darren221980

I've got some firmware versions if anyone is interested :smileywink: - it would seem the update tool may need a little work.

Any chance of uploading firmware for hg532 somewhere please m8?