09-10-2013 12:08 AM - edited 09-10-2013 12:16 AM
We've been with Talktalk and are happy with the level of service we get - however, our phone service has decided it wants an early holiday, and as of 07/10 there was no dial tone on our line. Also, incoming calls would not be received when the receiver was picked up - the calling phone would keep ringing!
Our broadband is additionally running at about 20 % of our normal speed; although the service centre is suggesting that the router position could be improved, before the 07/10 it was running at 6.0 Mb/s, 9 dB SNR, and the router's not been moved. I've logged a fault earlier on the 08/10, but was just wondering how long a repair usually takes, or is that like saying how long is a piece of string?
The references are:
The phone number is listed in the profile (although the Talktalk account the phone number is registered to is my father's, he's given me permission to sort out the tech side of things). Also would I be able to check if call redirect is active whilst the line is down please?
We've tried the router and phone plugged into both the main NTE5 and test sockets - still the same as above
No other devices are plugged in at the same time (on any extensions)
Switching out microfilters for others, including ones fresh from the packet don't sort anything out, and the router keeps reporting similar line sync and SNR after reboots.
Thanks for helping us out!
on 10-10-2013 10:34 AM
Ive checked the details fo the faut report and can see there was an update on the 8th advising:
Following extensive testing on this line we have identified a possible fault on the line.
As a result this fault has been raised to Openreach for further investigation. We will continue to provide updates on the progress of this fault.
We usually expect an update from Open Reach in the first 48 -72 hours so I would expect we will have more information on the invetigation today. Once we know more we will keep you informed.
10-10-2013 11:40 PM - edited 10-10-2013 11:45 PM
Thanks for the reply and the information - I guess it's up to OpenReach now to get back to us regarding the line. Just asking please if you know, but depending on the repair would an engineer visit be needed?
Thanks again for looking into this
on 11-10-2013 08:37 AM
As the fault has been identified on the line it does reduce the possibility that an engineer will need to visit your home. Thats not to say it rules it out but it minimises it as the engineer will be sent to the line first, to identify the issue and resolve it. Once this is done if service is restored threes no need for a home visits.
Home visits are most often when the specific cause of the fault cannot be identified from remote test so further engineer investigation is required.
In your case I would expect some fimbriation back from OR shortly from their investigations into this with some more information on what actions will be taken to resolve the matter (or alternatively confirmation that its been resolved)
Once we know more we will keep you updated
on 11-10-2013 03:27 PM
Thanks for the reply - funnily enough an OpenReach engineer turned up after your message and got the problem sorted - from the sounds of it, there was a line break and just switched us to a new line. After they left we had incoming calls but outgoing reported the number being dialled wasn't recognised or there was a fault, please try again message. It seemed to have resolved itself though (I guess the system registering the line to our account) so I think it's all sorted.
Thanks very much for the help and support and getting it sorted out pretty quickly!
on 14-10-2013 09:47 AM
Im glad to see it was resolved quickly, how has the connection held up over the course of the weeekend?
on 14-10-2013 11:28 AM
on 14-10-2013 02:43 PM
The connection appears to have been stable, phone calls incoming and outgoing appear to be okay. The ADSL service appears to on occasion not know what line speed it wants though - initially it syncs at 6.1 Mb/s, 9 dB SNR but then after a while decides it wants 5.1 - 5.5 Mb/s. The only reason I can think of is that the 6.1 Mb/s is too high for our line, could there be other reasons for the re-connection? If this warrants a post in the Broadband forum I can repost there!
Thanks again for helping, any way I can leave positive feedback?
on 15-10-2013 12:39 PM
In regards to the BB speed this will fluctuate. The SNR is the signal to noise ratio and although the signal from the exchange is a reletavily static figure (with a set target SNR) the noise (i.e interference) on the line will vary with everything from atmposheric conditions (as temperature and humidity affects resistance, in turn contribution to fluctuation in voltage) to electrical interference, all of which will vary from the time of day, to the time of year.
If this is impacting your ability to use the service then feel free to post in the BB section and it can be addressed. Fluctuations in speed are normal, provided they are not impacting your ability to actually use the service its not too big of a problem, but if the fluctuation is causing issue then we are more than happy to investigate.
In regards to leaving postiive feedback, i think you just did
on 20-10-2013 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info, it's interesting to find that so many conditions can interfere - but given how small the lines are, it's not surprising!
Just as an update I had a look on the forums and a)optimised the MTU (from 1432 to 1492) and b) changed the ADSL mode from ADSL 2+ to G.DMT (with our line distance I don't think it matters which mode is used!) and c) swapped the microfilter and RJ11 cable for replacements and both broadband and phone have been solid; the router's happy with 8-10 dB SNR downstream, not to mention hanging on like a limpet!