New Contributor
Smirf

setting up email on iPhone (orange)

Hi

has anyone had any luck in setting up their talktalk email on their orange iphone?

I can receive emails fine, i just cannot send.

I have tried:

smtp.talktalk.net
smtp.orange.net
smtp.orange.com

all with username@talktalk.net
SSL set to off
server port 587

help!!!
Super Contributor
davey

Re: setting up email on iPhone (orange)

hi smirf, and welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

googled and found this link which you might find useful :smileywink:

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/89/68/

good luck

davey
Valued Contributor
M44RKD

Originally Posted by Smirf
Hi

has anyone had any luck in setting up their talktalk email on their orange iphone?

I can receive emails fine, i just cannot send.

I have tried:

smtp.talktalk.net
smtp.orange.net
smtp.orange.com

all with username@talktalk.net
SSL set to off
server port 587

help!!!

got rid ov orange when they tried to change the T & C's 4 months into my 18 month contract, cessation free :smileyvery-happy:, am now back with good old O2 but i do have an iphone and the email kinda set itself up..

just go to settings, Mail,Contacts,Calendars then click 'add account then select 'other' then add mail account then just enter ur name the email address and ur password associated with that email address and what u want that acc t b called, and thats about it....

also if u are not connected via wifi to ur talktalk acc u wont b able to send, u canna send without being connected to talktalk, unl;ess u set up secondary server as i have which is smtp.live.com, to do that all u have to do is once u have set ur talktalk mail up go into it and click on ur acc just set up and then scroll down and click on SMTP and add other smtp in there, altho the live.com smtp is linked to my hotmail address and is on server port 587, so u would also need to add ur hotmail email and password when u set up secondary server
New Contributor
Smirf

Thanks for the quick replies!

I tried the 02 settings - not working on Orange unfortunately.

On the hotmail settings, have you got the "live account" upgrade?
My hotmail is just the old basic no frills account... wonder if i upgraded it would allow me to send via that? Have tried setting my hotmail up, but it won't allow me with my cheapo settings!

I really need to be able to send email on the go, so whilst the talktalk setting of wifi is perfect for home, won't help me out and about.
Valued Contributor
M44RKD

Thanks for the quick replies!

I tried the 02 settings - not working on Orange unfortunately.

On the hotmail settings, have you got the "live account" upgrade?
My hotmail is just the old basic no frills account... wonder if i upgraded it would allow me to send via that? Have tried setting my hotmail up, but it won't allow me with my cheapo settings!

I really need to be able to send email on the go, so whilst the talktalk setting of wifi is perfect for home, won't help me out and about.

my hotmail acc i just have www.hotmail.com bookmarked and set to auto log in when i use it, nothin fancy needed it opens and reads my hotmail emails just as if was on a pc....also use IMLite for the likes MSN which works excellently.....
New Contributor
Smirf

I just tried setting up hotmail again. This time it allowed me to download my mails, then... let me send one from the hotmail account

so..

as you suggested, made sure smtp.live was my secondary (actually turned of primary) and...

IT WORKED!!!

I can now send from my talktalk account!

Awesome advice, much appreciated.

Now, over to the broadband forum to sort out my download speed....!
Valued Contributor
M44RKD

I just tried setting up hotmail again. This time it allowed me to download my mails, then... let me send one from the hotmail account

so..

as you suggested, made sure smtp.live was my secondary (actually turned of primary) and...

IT WORKED!!!

I can now send from my talktalk account!

Awesome advice, much appreciated.

Now, over to the broadband forum to sort out my download speed....!

your welcome any other problems with iPhone just shout up, i by far am no expert i just know what i know and what i dont know i learn by fiddling :smileyvery-happy:, its all backed up so if i lose everything just a case restoring it from itunes lol.....touch wood thats never happened :smileyvery-happy: