Occasional Contributor
dibs1975

find whats connected to a dsl-2780

ive got a d-link dsl-2780, ive been through the router settings to find out what mac addresses have/are connected to my router wirelessly but cant find it. my wps light has been flashing and not sure how long for as i was out. and my understanding if im wrong someone please tell me to put my mind at rest, but the wps when pressed lets wireless devices connected without the wireless key. if true then i want to see what is/has been connected to see if anyones devices apart from mine are connected. i also read the log and ive had a load of xmas port attacks but looks like the firewall has blocked it. is this anything to worry about. thanks to anyone who comments and helps.
Banned
redchiz

Re: find whats connected to a dsl-2780

I'm not familiar with that particular router, but if it has WPS there should be a setting somewhere that allows you to disable it.
Community Star
jcampy

unless somebody has had accees to your router then its unlikley somebody has got access to your router via wps

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Occasional Contributor
dibs1975

i dont know if one of the kids has pressed it, but when i first set it up i can remember something about the wps button. its right on the front of the router, stupid place for it. just got me thinking when i saw it flashing. been on the d-link website and cant find the router model.
Occasional Contributor
dibs1975

ive been with other providers and when ive been logged into the router ive been able to see the mac address of what has been/is connected to them. i just cant seem to find that in this one.
Community Star
jcampy

i know currently conected devices shoq up under dhcp on the huawei models bit never used a dlink

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Valued Contributor
OtherHalf

Strangely, this DLink seems to be the only recent model that doesn't have a "Connected Clients" page in the Status section of the router, probably because it's a TT special.:robotwink:
It's a bit strange that the WPS light is flashing all the time. I thought it should only flash for about 2 minutes after pressing the button, so maybe the button is stuck.
If you're concerned, I would factory rest the router, and reconfigure it. I would also change the default username and password (both are admin by default), change your wireless password and disable WPS in the router.
You might also find this interesting:
www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73977

thanks everyone who replied. im going to change the wireless key and see if theres a setting in the router to switch the wps button off even if it is pressed. just dont want anybody else using my connection. it was flashing for longer than 2 minutes and it only stopped when i rebooted the router.
Super Contributor
Gromit

On the DSL 2680 there is a Connected Clients page under Status in Advanced mode, I expect the 2780 may be similar.
Banned
redchiz

Originally Posted by OtherHalf
Strangely, this DLink seems to be the only recent model that doesn't have a "Connected Clients" page in the Status section of the router, probably because it's a TT special.

Originally Posted by Gromit
On the DSL 2680 there is a Connected Clients page under Status in Advanced mode, I expect the 2780 may be similar.

There's only one way to resolve this...

Contributor
elgringo

Banned
redchiz

Originally Posted by elgringo
Hi,

This what you're looking for :smileywink:

screenshots.portforward.com/Dlink/DSL-2780/LAN_Setup.htm

Er, no it isn't.
Contributor
elgringo

Quote:
Hi,

This what you're looking for

screenshots.portforward.com/D.../LAN_Setup.htm
Er, no it isn't.

Sorry, I thought the OP was looking for a list of connected clients on his 2780. The Setup > LAN Setup > DHCP table shows any connected devices and their MAC addresses.
Just so happens there's none on the screenshot

Ian
Valued Contributor
baz134dog

Sorry, I thought the OP was looking for a list of connected clients on his 2780. The Setup > LAN Setup > DHCP table shows any connected devices and their MAC addresses.
Just so happens there's none on the screenshot
Ian

Er, still no. The DHCP Table is for setting up Static IP addresses.:smileywink:
Super Contributor
blackeagle

Originally Posted by baz134dog
Er, still no. The DHCP Table is for setting up Static IP addresses.:smileywink:

Nope.

elgringo is correct. That screenshot shows a connected device (192.168.1.2) with an address automatically assigned from the DHCP pool. Quite why there is no MAC address showing I'm not sure as they show on my 2740. The table can also be used to assign a static address to a specific MAC address as Baz says, but it does also show any connected clients and their associated addresses.

The only problem with this is when the lease time is set to something quite long (most routers default to 24hr leases), which means that if a device connects for ten minutes and then disconnects, it will still show in the table for 24hrs. Setting a shorter lease time helps keep the table up to date. Connected devices don't change IP by doing this, they simply re-lease the original address. If the device doesn't re-lease at the end of the lease time, the IP is removed from the table and is free to be assigned to another device.
Current VDSL2 line stats (beta)

AMD Athlon II X3 435
ASRock K10N78FullHD-HSLI
Nvidia 9800GT 512MB
4GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz
1TB Raid
Windows 7 Ultimate

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
Contributor
elgringo