Contributor
MRoo

Broadband keeps disconnecting

My broadband disconnects at irregular intervals; sometimes after a couple of hours, sometimes after 5mins. Reconnects usually after 2-5mins.

When the broadband goes the internet light on the router turns red and the ADSL light flashes. I've checked the line stats and I think it maybe something to do with the SN margins which tend to hover around 6dB. Often the disconnection happens when this figure falls below 6dB on either the up or downstream.

Also the upstream speed is consistently low, around 400-500kbps.

Have tested the line from the test socket and tried it using a different router, with different splitters and have tried changing all the relevant cables. None of these made any difference. There is no phone plugged into the socket, only the router.

What should I do now to solve the issue?
JackieB

Re: Broadband keeps disconnecting

Hiya MRoo, and welcome :smileyhappy:

Whilst waiting for OCE assistance (the online TalkTalk Tech team), please can you kindly ensure your router is set to an always on/nailed up connection in it's settings. I don't know which router you have, but if you click here for instructions: www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52756 most common routers are covered.

Although you have given some information on your setup and what you've already tried yourself, it would help the OCE's greatly if you could kindly answer the below questionnaire. If you need any help in getting the answers, click here: www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42443

1. What exchange are you connected to?
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have?
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket?
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket?
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection?
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate?
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket?
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service?
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)?
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model)
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter?
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead?
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up?
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up?
12. What is your attenuation down and up?
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time?
14. Are you currently using Wireless?
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line?
J

OCE (Support Staff) Who Are They / Community Moderators Who Are They / TalkTalk Line Profiles / Optimise/Check your MTU Setting

"Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends - Peace Out xxxx
OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 854
Solutions: 432

Hi Mrroo,

As Jackie has correctly advised if you can provide the information from the sticky questions this will greatly aid us in advising you further.

Cheers

M:smileyhappy:

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Contributor
MRoo

Have changed the router to always on, made no difference. Here are the questions and answers

1. What exchange are you connected to?
ESWAV
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have?
One
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket?
Yes
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket?
Yes
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection?
At least a day and no change
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate?
No
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket?
Yes
We don't have a land line handset so don't know
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)?
Huawei HG532
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model)
Yes. Tested an O2 modem, make and model unknown (but it works fine in a friend's flat). Made no difference.
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter?
Yes
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead?
No
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up?
Up varies from 4-8dB, Down from 7-10dB
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up?
Up around 400-500kbps, Down 4000-6000kbps
12. What is your attenuation down and up?
Up around 22dB, Down around 44dB
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time?
Intermittent throughout the day. Possibly more in the mornings
14. Are you currently using Wireless?
Yes
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line?
No

Need any other info just now?
OCE_Mark

Originally Posted by MRoo

We don't have a land line handset so don't know

Need any other info just now?

Hi Mroo,

The reason we ask if there are issues with the phone line is because this is imperative in identifying the cause of the issue.

If you have problems with your phone lien it will cause issues with your BB. As such its essential to connect a handset to the line to determine if thee is any noise, interference or issues with the phone line first, so we can rule this out of investigations and move forward with the BB matters.

If you can confirm once you have checked the phone line that this is clear, or in the event there are any problems the nature of these we can advise further.

Cheers

Contributor
MRoo

Hi,

Just borrowed a phone and checked the line. Can make and receive calls fine but tried to do a quiet line test and it didn't work. I got through to the prerecorded message but I only got the 'This circuit is defined as...' bit (it did recognise the line and gave the correct phone number). After repeating this message the line cut off without giving me the usual option choices. Tried a few times over the course of about a hour and each time it has been the same.

Other than this the phone worked fine, although it did take quite a while to connect to the line in the first place (handset displayed 'searching' for several mins before connecting).
Contributor
MRoo

p.s. I plugged the handset directly into the test socket with out any splitters etc.

Also, we had phone line problems a few weeks back and had a bt engineer in who found that our line out of the block of flats was a bit old and dodgy so he replaced the section from our flat to the street.
OCE_Mark

hi mroo,

when you checked the phone can you confirm if you noted any noise or interference on the line. Dialling 0 to clear the dial tone should result in silence on the line for around 30 seconds before a recorded message is relayed.

If this is not silent and you can hear any noise we will need to investigate this. If not then we can investigate as a purely BB issue.

Cheers

Contributor
MRoo

Hi,

Just tested the line again (same problems as before). Tried the dialing 0 trick - there was a constant quiet crackling sound during the 'silent' period.
OCE_Mark

hi Mroo,

When you cleared the dial tone can you confirm you have only the corded handset connected direct to the test socket and all other equipment removed.

We need to establish if the noise is still present when no other equipment is (i.e isnt related to the presence or router filter extensions etc).

Cheers

Contributor
MRoo

Yep - I unplugged everything and wasn't using a splitter, just plugged the phone directly into the test socket.
OCE_Mark

hi Mroo,

Ive moved this thread ot the phone faults section so the noise on the line can be investigated as this persists with just a single corded handset in the test socket.

Once the phone line issue has been cleared we can investigate further should any BB issues remain.

Cheers

OCE_Emma
Topics: 3
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 290

Hi MRoo,

I've sent a private message to confirm a couple of details then I'll be able to get this issue logged for you. Please do not post any of the information requested on the open forums.

Cheers
Em x

OCE_Emma
Topics: 3
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 290

Hi MRoo,

Thanks for the PM and confirmation of details.

Just to confirm you have a permanant crackle on the line which you have tested with alternative handsets at the test socket? Once this is confirmed I'll log the fault for you.

Cheers
Em x

Contributor
MRoo

Hi,

Over the last couple of days the disconnection problems seems to have resolved itself. It came on suddenly after several weeks of normal service and appears to have just gone away of its own accord.

Do you think it is likely to reoccur? Is there anything I should do to avoid this?

Thanks
OCE_Ady
Topics: 0
Kudos: 705
Solutions: 342

Hi MRoo,

it's hard to be definite as we obviously don't know what caused it to start or stop. Carry on doing what you are doing and if the fault does start again please post back.To save time do the diagnostics and we will get it logged for you.

Contributor
MRoo

Ok then. Thanks for your help everyone