Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

why does my network adaptor disappear

I use an atheros network adaptor which works well. Only problem is that sometimes it "disappears"

The symptoms are that when I try to connect to Talktalk I cannot and I get an error message that there is no network.When I look in device manager there is no network adaptor. If I reset the PC it reappears .

It is so frustrating.
Valued Contributor
JackieB

Re: why does my network adaptor disappear

I would say that it's probably not the drivers, because it would still show up in your device manager, albeit with a notification that there was a problem. If the actual adapter itself is not showing at all it might be worth checking to see it's not "loose". However, it might still be worth updating your adapter with the latest drivers. Are you using Windows? If so, also ensure your Windows updates are all up to date.

Also look in your adapter properties, and ensure that it's not set to turn off in the power saving options. :smileywink:
J

OCE (Support Staff) Who Are They / Community Moderators Who Are They / TalkTalk Line Profiles / Optimise/Check your MTU Setting

"Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends - Peace Out xxxx
Valued Contributor
piston

Originally Posted by donwhitehead
I use an atheros network adaptor which works well. Only problem is that sometimes it "disappears"

The symptoms are that when I try to connect to Talktalk I cannot and I get an error message that there is no network.When I look in device manager there is no network adaptor. If I reset the PC it reappears .

It is so frustrating.

Is it a Dell?:

This seems to be an annoying problem with Dell laptops. It happens enough that it appears to have been a planned "feature." If you turn on your Dell laptop, and there is no power cord plugged in (you are using battery power) and no network cable plugged in, the hard-wired network device does not appear. We have three (different model) Dell laptops and we have seen this on each of them.

Usually, you can get the network adapter driver to reappear simply by shutting down the laptop, plugging in the power cable and a live network cable, and then powering the system back up. Only once have I had to actually reinstall the driver.

What's annoying is that the network adapter driver randomly disappears if the network cable isn't plugged in during power up, or if the power cable isn't plugged in during power up. It isn't really gone, since rebooting with both power cable and a live network cable plugged in usually reactivates the driver.

Update: suggested solution at same place as the above:

en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-37624-network-adapter-problem

Just scroll down until you get to solution a bit below text I nicked (above).

Regards
Piston
'War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.'

I can hear music coming out of my printer. I think the paper’s jammin’ again
Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

It's a Toshiba pro satelleite running XP.

The adaptor will reappear if I reset but it's annoying to have to do a reset evrytime it decides to disappear.
Valued Contributor
piston

It's a Toshiba pro satelleite running XP.

The adaptor will reappear if I reset but it's annoying to have to do a reset evrytime it decides to disappear.

Hi,

Behaving quitelike the DEll tho...did the fix on the link help?

I think JackieB may be right re power saving options. Can you check via the control panel?

Regards,
Piston (not a laptop user for 12 m0nths) so a rusty rodent):smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys - that seems to be the answer
Valued Contributor
piston

MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys - that seems to be the answer

Hi,

Glad you're sorted.
For future reference: what did you do that was magic?
(bet it was JackieB's idea)

Regards,
Piston:robotwink:

Valued Contributor
JackieB

Originally Posted by piston
Hi,

Glad you're sorted.
For future reference: what did you do that was magic?
(bet it was JackieB's idea)

Regards,
Piston:robotwink:

Probably not P.

I only have one good idea every month, and I've already had one this July..... lollol
J

OCE (Support Staff) Who Are They / Community Moderators Who Are They / TalkTalk Line Profiles / Optimise/Check your MTU Setting

"Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends - Peace Out xxxx
Valued Contributor
piston

Originally Posted by JackieB
Probably not P.

I only have one good idea every month, and I've already had one this July..... lollol

What..EVERY month!?

Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

This is what I did. It seemed to work but it's as bad as ever today

jch413 Jan 16, 2010 5:25pm GMT
The answer to this most aggravating problem appears to be a very simple fix in Windows which I got from another tech site - so far it has worked like a charm for me and the other user that I got the info from:
- open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
- select 'Set Program Access and Defaults'
- select Windows and 'OK"
Windows will run through its little routine and Bada Bing! you should be all set!
Alternatiively, you could fool with the 'Custom' settings in this same dialog box and see if that resolves your issues; but that's only if you really want to set other programs as default mail, media, messenger, etc.
Good Luck!
Valued Contributor
piston

This is what I did. It seemed to work but it's as bad as ever today

jch413 Jan 16, 2010 5:25pm GMT
The answer to this most aggravating problem appears to be a very simple fix in Windows which I got from another tech site - so far it has worked like a charm for me and the other user that I got the info from:
- open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
- select 'Set Program Access and Defaults'
- select Windows and 'OK"
Windows will run through its little routine and Bada Bing! you should be all set!
Alternatiively, you could fool with the 'Custom' settings in this same dialog box and see if that resolves your issues; but that's only if you really want to set other programs as default mail, media, messenger, etc.
Good Luck!

OK plan B:

Can you access Device Manager? either via Control Panel or My Computer

There is an option which allows comp. to turn off network devices to save energy, bet it needs unticking.

Post back if you want more details (this was Jackie B's thinking)

Regards,
Piston

Regular Contributor
TheMorley1

For you guys with a Dell lappie like me, install the Dell Wlan utility and the Dell quickset utility.
Then set the profiles in quickset for the different power states and cable states, works a treat.
Which ever cable is plugged/unplugged the profile switch is automatic.
Plug in lan and wirless disables, unplug lan and wireless enables, same with the power cable for different power save modes.:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
The Premiership will welcome us back>>>>
Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

can you spell it out for me Piston please?
Valued Contributor
piston

can you spell it out for me Piston please?

Sorry for the belated reply, modem testing.

OK, I don’t know what your OS is (XP/Vista etc) but presume (since you did the earlier suggested Windows-fix) that you can get to the control panel. (If not I’ve put another route in as a PS at end)

It’s less long than this list makes it look

In Control Panel:

Look for the System icon and click on it...a tabbed box will open.

Click the Hardware tab...a box with a selection of buttons will open

Click the Device Manager button you will now have a list of all your devices

Look down alphabetic list for Network Adapters click the small + box

You’ll see your network adapters listed and one will be your atheros wireless:

Right-click your Atheros entry and you’ll get a box of options, click Properties

You now have a tabbed box: click the Power Management tab

Untick the box for: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

Click OK and done..phew.:smileyvery-happy:

Suggest you do a restart and pop back and look to see that the box has stayed unticked.

Hope this works for you :smileyhappy:

Regards,
Piston

PS If you can find (more easily) you’re My Computer icon:

Right-click on My Computer

Click the Manage option from the drop-down list...you’ll get a split window

Click Device Manager from the list on left: you will now have a list of all your devices on right of screen

Follow my first list of steps now, after the:
“Click the Device Manager button you will now have a list of all your devices”

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Hi Don

When adapter 'disappears', go into device manager and right click any item in list and choose 'scan computer for hardware' to 're-activate' adapter, if this works as piston has said already it could be set to 'go to sleep' so look into power features for laptop and ensure it is set to high performance, if this fixes it, it is your laptop/adapter power settings.

How old is your laptop?

The usual culprit for many 'mysterious' laptop issues is old batteries, if the symptom doesn't appear when plugged in to mains, this is likely suspect, many laptops are set to save power wherever possible, and a network adapter is very often seen as the first uneeded thing to shut down, most people who use laptops are more concerned with losing work than internet access.
If it is less than 3 years old, then this is unlikely.

If this all seems correct, then update drivers for adapter, don't use windows update, as it will always say the best are installed, even though this is seldom the case. Go here;

driverpacks.net/driverpacks

Use tabs at right of page to download WLAN drivers for your OS, newest are at top of page so choose these, (Vista drivers are ok for Windows 7 too), you then need to uncompress downloaded file to a folder on laptop you need to 'fix' (Desktop is good).

Next go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Device Manager' and look down list for 'Network adapters', look in here for your wireless adapter, right click on adapter name (toshiba will be atheros), and choose 'update driver'.

In window that appears choose 'Browse my Computer' and navigate to the folder you created earlier, ensure that 'Look in Subfolders' is ticked, and say ok, windows will find and install updated driver.

Try again, you should be sorted.

regards
fred
Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

OK tried everything else updated driver etc and no improvement so now I have changed the power to high performance.

Lets see if that changes anything
Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

At last!! That seems to have solved the problem. No failure since I changed to high performance.

Thanks for the help folks
Frequent Contributor
donwhitehead

Here we go. Talk about counting chickens etc.

I thought it had been sorted - how wrong was I

to recap. When I close the lid the Atheros network adaptor sometimes disappears.
Sometimes I can do into device driver and "scan hardware" and it reappears. Sometimes it doesnt.

When that happens I have to do a reset and that restores the Atheros.

When I shut down the PC and do a start the adapor loads Ok.

I have tried all the solutions suggested but it still does the disappearing trick when I close the lid. Not always but frequently.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

The laptop is going in to 'standby' mode automatically, (hibernation in Vista and Windows 7) that is why it disapears when you close the lid. All laptops have a small switch that is 'closed' as the laptop lid is closed.
You can set the laptop to switch 'off' when you close lid instead of hibernating, or you can set it to stay on with the lid closed, go in to 'control panel' and check 'power' options, the settings for what to do when lid closes are in the advanced section of 'choose a power plan'. Many laptops are also set to go in to hibernation when you click 'off' button on windows taskbar, again check this is correct setting for you in the advanced power settings dialogue.
If you want the laptop to go in to 'power save' mode when you close lid, and this is default for laptops, then you will likely have to live with this annoyance.
regards
fred
Valued Contributor
M44RKD

i have my laptop set to 'sleep' not 'hibernate' when i close the lid and i have no problems, am running windows 7 64 bit