N/A
markus

Setup for talk talk email on apple iPad 2 help please

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help
I have got myself a iPad 2 and a great piece of kit I must say ,but I am having one problem I cannot setup my
Talk talk email account on it I have looked on the talk talk web site and followed the instructions by the letter but still no joy I have read a few other forums and it seems to be a bit of a problem,Has anyone else come across this ,if so did you find a cure and please could I have it,I have had a good look around on here and could not find anything to help I hope I have posted this in the right place.

I look forward to your replies

Mark
New Contributor
Skeggy

Re: Setup for talk talk email on apple iPad 2 help please

I am having the same problem with my new Galaxy tablet which is a
Android device, no one seems to have the definitive answer. I have posted about this.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Username - yourmailname@talktalk.net
Account name - yourmailname@talktalk.net
password - yourpassword
Incoming email (POP3 - port 110) - mail.talktalk.net (OR IMAP - port 143) - imap.talktalk.net
Outgoing email (SMTP - port 25) - smtp.talktalk.net

encryption must be OFF (sometimes called authentication)

This should be all you need, both the ipad and the android tablet default to 'authenticated' and this needs to be implicitly turned OFF

in the ipad if you are still getting issues, delete the account, start again and deliberately put in the wrong password, because it will then of course fail to set up automatically, you will then get a manual set up option and should have success! :smileywink:
New Contributor
Skeggy

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
password - yourpassword
Incoming email (POP3 - port 110) - mail.talktalk.net (OR IMAP - port 143) - imap.talktalk.net

This should be all you need, both the ipad and the android tablet default to 'authenticated' and this needs to be implicitly turned OFF

in the ipad if you are still getting issues, delete the account, start again and deliberately put in the wrong password, because it will then of course fail to set up automatically, you will then get a manual set up option and should have success! :smileywink:

I am sorry but the settings you mention do not work on the Galaxy there appears to be no reference to encryption or authentication. Others who have had the same problem say that you should use gmail settings for outgoing, using these i did not get a set up failed message but when trying to send a message then was told that the send had failed. Using gmail does work and perhaps I should stick to them.
Super Contributor
Brainiac

The following has been used by others & does apparently work for ipads, it's copied from a post on the Tiscali forums so' Tiscali' would have to be replaced by 'TalkTalk'.

""Here is the answer Guys .....
Settings,
Choose Mail,Contacts, Calendars>

Add Account
Choose: Other
Add Mail Account>

Name : Joe Blogs
Email: JoeBlogs@tiscali.co.uk
Password: *********
Description: Tiscali
Choose
Looking up Account ....
Choose IMAP

change host name to IMAP.TISCALI.CO.UK
NEXT ...... Verifying
Choose NO , when you get the Cannot Connect Using SSL

NEXT
Choose SAVE
SAVE
Go to the Tiscali Mail option and open the settings

Click on Account,

Go to Advanced

and turn OFF the Use SSL setting,

and change the Server Port to 143
Go Back to
Click on the Outgoing server SMTP
Click on the smtp.tiscali.co.uk option and check the outgoing settings
Choose the Primary Server>

Turn OFF the use ssl setting
Chang e the server Port to 25

Select DONE
Go back to Select DONE

Comment... The really important things are
A. Letting the iPhone wizard fail the SSL test first time round and saving the Settings - then going back in and setting the SSL and Port settings for IMAP and SMTP separately

B. Getting the IMAP settings for OFF SSL and the PORT 143
C. Getting OFF SSL in SMTP and the port set to 25""
I've got a sig.
New Contributor
Barry from Epsom

Interesting!

I have a similar problem with an iPod that the Apple Store hasn't solved in two visits. Do you think, "Brainiac", that your, above, instructions will work with the iPod? I assume "talktalk.net" should be substituted for "tiscali.co.uk" - is that so?

:smileymad::smileyvery-happy:
New Contributor
Holly Hannah

Hi,
I need help with my new Ipad version 3. I have really struggled to set up the Talktalk account and now can receive and send e-mails which is a major achievement and mainly thanks to other users who have asked for similar help on the forum. However it has left me with 2 problems - firstly I cannot empty my Trash and secondly, when I send an e-mail, there is no copy in my Sent mailbox. I only know it's sent if I send myself a copy each time and then I'm left with more Trash that I can't delete.
Can anyone help me - in simple terms please as I'm not very teccy but I'm determined to find a solution and not be beaten by everyone telling me that Talktalk and Apple aren't compatible. I love my Ipad and wish I'd got one before now. Still these things take time when you're knocking on 70 !
New Contributor
Holly Hannah

Hi,
Thanks for the advice but I've been trying that for days and I keep getting a message saying 'unable to move messages/this message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash'
As I'm already in Trash the message is rubbish. I don't have any problem if I use I Cloud.
New Contributor
stevej001

Can anyone help with ipad email issues?

When attempting to 'send' email via TalkTalk with my ipad2 I get the following error: "A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The sender address 'myname@talktalk.net was rejected by the server."

My wife has the same problem. There is some history to the story, which may be of some significance:

Her ipad had previously been working perfectly well with TalkTalk email until she visited the USA.

Once there, she found she could no longer send email via her TalkTalk account - although she could receive, and Gmail was just fine. She visited the Apple Store and was advised that the problem was with her TalkTalk settings, and not with the ipad.

She still had this problem when she returned to the UK. The account has since been deleted and re-added. The problem remains unresolved.

As I said, my ipad had also been working perfectly - until last week, when I too visited the US. I could not send emails via TalkTalk in the US. The problem remains here in the UK. There is surely some connection.

I have tried the suggestion below, without success.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

password - yourpassword

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Have you checked the port numbers?

are you sure encryption is 'off'?

it could also be a mail server error, try again later and see if it works....
Occasional Contributor
Craigrlewis

Hey
I had all this trouble. I spent ages and ages arguing with talktalk support who ust kept reading from a script that the issue was with the ipad not them.

Their "great" customer service was then to tell me iit wasnt their fault/their problem. I did all the setting as per suggstions in this forum and eleted and readeed the accounts so many times i could do it blindfolded.

I then finally got them to agree i could cancel my service and they would waive the early termination fees.

I then trid the deleting and readding the account and it seemed to then work.

Fingers crossed it stays working!

I guess my advice is to keep trying.

Talktalk need to admit there is some problem with their aervice and ipads and remember its 2012 and many people have such devices now. To keep reading a script saying how its a hardware error with the ipad is so stupid and makes them sound p@@ poor.
New Contributor
stevej001

Thank you. Yes, the Port numbers are 25 and 110 respectively. Encryption is definately off.

If it is a server, is it likely to have been going on for more than ten days for me, and almost six weeks for my wife's iPad?

QUOTE=fred sheehan;866421]Have you checked the port numbers?

are you sure encryption is 'off'?

it could also be a mail server error, try again later and see if it works....
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

I was sure you had checked Steve, just confirming really.

If you want my 'honest advice' it is to use a far more reliable mail server than talk talks anyway, I have some hotmail accounts (now live mail) that are over 25 years old and I have had multiple ISP's in that time and never had a single day I couldn't use my mail through a web browser or an email client on any platform...

The same will never be said of the talk talk mail systems..
New Contributor
stevej001

Thank you Fred, this is especially frustrating as it has been working perfectly well for a very long time. Unfortunately, TalkTalk strongly believes this to be an iPad issue!

As you say, I could change to another isp, and I may have to do so in the end, but would prefer not to have to go through the process of advising all in sundry of a change of email address.

Thanks anyway.

I was sure you had checked Steve, just confirming really.

If you want my 'honest advice' it is to use a far more reliable mail server than talk talks anyway, I have some hotmail accounts (now live mail) that are over 25 years old and I have had multiple ISP's in that time and never had a single day I couldn't use my mail through a web browser or an email client on any platform...

The same will never be said of the talk talk mail systems..
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Have you actually tried the 'wrong password' to get it to give you a manual set up page?
and then try IMAP (port 143) instead of POP.
When you set it up with correct details it will always use POP and try encryption, whilst pop is perfectly fine usually the encryption is not..
as for the different email provider, I use hotmail (Now called live mail, and provided free by Microsoft), precisely because it isn't tied to any ISP, I have had many different ISP's over the last 25 years but the same mail addresses, otherwise you are 'tied' to an ISP just because of your mail address and that is never a good thing in my book...
there are other 'non ISP' mail services like googlemail or yahoo, but I wouldn't recommend yahoo because you have to pay if you want it to work with an email client, the free version can only be used within a web browser.
Can you access the account fine in a web browser?
If all settings are correct, then just keep trying, some users have found persistence pays of with talk talk and Apples mail client....
N/A
Mushy Pea

I am new to this, so please bear with me if I say or do things that appear stupid.
I have followed 'Brainiac's' recommendations on getting my TalkTalk account to link to my new I-pad so I can receive and send e-mails, but when I get to a certain point in setting up a 'new' account I get a message saying - "Outgoing mail server setting provided is intended for 02 customers in the UK. 02 customers should enter their 02 e-mail address in Pramary Outgoing Mail server username field and thier password"

I have never been an 02 member, I have been with TalkTalk for the past 5 years, so why should me new i-pad assume I am with 02?

Originally Posted by Brainiac
The following has been used by others & does apparently work for ipads, it's copied from a post on the Tiscali forums so' Tiscali' would have to be replaced by 'TalkTalk'.

""Here is the answer Guys .....
Settings,
Choose Mail,Contacts, Calendars>

Add Account
Choose: Other
Add Mail Account>

Name : Joe Blogs
Email: JoeBlogs@tiscali.co.uk
Password: *********
Description: Tiscali
Choose
Looking up Account ....
Choose IMAP

change host name to IMAP.TISCALI.CO.UK
NEXT ...... Verifying
Choose NO , when you get the Cannot Connect Using SSL

NEXT
Choose SAVE
SAVE
Go to the Tiscali Mail option and open the settings

Click on Account,

Go to Advanced

and turn OFF the Use SSL setting,

and change the Server Port to 143
Go Back to
Click on the Outgoing server SMTP
Click on the smtp.tiscali.co.uk option and check the outgoing settings
Choose the Primary Server>

Turn OFF the use ssl setting
Chang e the server Port to 25

Select DONE
Go back to Select DONE

Comment... The really important things are
A. Letting the iPhone wizard fail the SSL test first time round and saving the Settings - then going back in and setting the SSL and Port settings for IMAP and SMTP separately

B. Getting the IMAP settings for OFF SSL and the PORT 143
C. Getting OFF SSL in SMTP and the port set to 25""
N/A
Trish555

Hi I've been having the talktalk mail problem with my iPad for weeks now ever since they went to webmail .
I decided to set up iCloud email cos I was sick of it . That works fine .

I then set I cloud mail on my iPhone which is O2 . I looked at the settings for mail on that and found that it uses in the outgoing mail server O2 . That is smtp O2.co.uk . I put that into settings on iPad and wow it works . So now have 2 email addresses which could be handy to get rid of all the junk mail .

Hope this might help someone here .
N/A
Del2n

I have been trying to sort this out for weeks - incoming mail OK, but could not send outgoing mail - then I found this Forum.
Many thanks to all, particularly Brainiac.
What I got from all the correspondence is
Incoming: IMAP.talktalk.net
Server Port: 143
Outgoing:
SMTP.talktalk.net
Use SSL: OFF
Server Port: 25
For Holly Hannah:
I had the same problem with moving messages to Trash. Solved it by going to 'Advanced', then to 'Deleted Mailbox', and ticked 'Trash''On the Server'. Seems to work, but havn't a clue what happens to the Trash messages.
New Contributor
geoffrey

I just had this problem too. (All was well until I reset things to use the iPad on a cruise ship, and when I returned, the Talktalk instructions would not work : the help I got was useless - the guy wanted to know the make of my router, and what system I used on my PC ,! )

But I fixed it. Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts/Talktalk/SMTP.talktalk.net , and there you find both primary server, and then a list of others. You need to make sue that when you click on the server details, you find SSL off,, nothing ticked for authentication, and port 25 . When you find one with all that, make sure it is on.
Then all is well .

It worked for me with my IPad 3 - at 3a.m. After going mad for a few hours....
:smileyhappy: